Spring Break Family Fun on Tybee Island
By: Allison Ulsh
Spring break means it's time to escape the everyday hustle and bustle of school, work, and activities and enjoy fresh air and sunshine on the beach. With hundreds of beautiful places to stay, fun activities to enjoy, great restaurants to try and plenty of rays to soak up, Tybee Island is the perfect spring break destination for families.
Here are nine fantastic ways to enjoy spring break on Tybee Island.
1. Book a Vacation Rental with Fantastic Amenities
There is no shortage of great vacation rentals on Tybee Island. Whether you're looking for a beachfront condo, an idyllic cottage or a luxury home with a private pool, there is a rental that will meet all of your needs. When it comes to finding the right spot for your crew, you can't go wrong with one of these fabulous locally-owned vacation rental companies:
- Oceanfront Cottage Rentals features a variety of luxury vacation rental homes, including charming cottages and large beach mansions with amenities like private pools, hot tubs, and much more to accommodate your vacation needs.
- Tybee Vacation Rentals offers a choice of more than 300 fully furnished vacation rental properties, including apartments, condos, cottages and homes of all sizes. These beautiful properties can accommodate up to 22 guests and feature a variety of amenities like private pools, well-stocked kitchens, internet and even pet accommodations.
- Tybee Beach Vacation Rentals offers a large variety of rental properties on the island, including single-family beach homes, cottages and condos. Their rentals have plenty of amenities to ensure you have everything you need for the perfect home away from home.
- Beachside Colony Resort is Tybee's only oceanfront resort. It offers one-, two- and three-bedroom condominiums that include fully equipped kitchens, direct beach access, free parking and some of the best views on the island. The resort also boasts a large heated swimming pool and an onsite, oceanfront restaurant.
- Tybee Island Rentals provides beautiful and affordable vacation condos, beach homes and townhouses for families and groups of all sizes. Many of their rentals also include pet accommodations, pools, beach access and much more.
2. Cruise the Island in a Golf Cart
Renting a golf cart is a must-do on Tybee Island and Coast to Coast Beach Rentals has plenty of brand-new, customized carts to choose from. Coast to Coast offers four-, six- and eight-seat golf carts as well as Slingshots, and all of their coaches feature remote Bluetooth speakers so you can enjoy your music while you cruise around the island in style.
3. Explore by Bike
What's a beach vacation without a bike? Let the salty air blow through your hair while you cruise the beach on two wheels. Rather than lugging your bikes along, plenty of bike rental companies on the island offer a variety of bikes and accessories and will even deliver and pick up your bikes for you. TIMS Bikes, Beach Gear & Disc Golf offers adult, youth, trikes, tandem and pull-along bikes for hourly or multi-day rentals. Tybee Island Bike Rentals offers comfortable beach cruisers that fit nearly everyone and include a cup holder, basket and lock.
4. Grab Last-Minute Necessities at T.S. Chu
If you forgot to pack something for your spring break trip, don't worry, T.S. Chu has your back. Tybee's very own department store, Chu's offers a little bit of everything from beach gear and bathing suits to lightbulbs and cleaning supplies. This unique island shop has almost anything you need, along with some fun island keepsakes to bring home with you.
5. Go Camping
In addition to its many hotels, resorts and vacation rentals, Tybee also has great camping options for visitors. Located just a few short blocks from the beach, River's End Campground has more than 100 sites that offer services ranging from total hook-up capacity with water and sewer and free cable to water and electric service only, as well as primitive tent camping sites. The campground also offers budget-friendly cabin rentals and features Tybee Island's largest swimming pool.
If you're looking to get closer to nature, however, you can take a short boat trip across the Back River to Little Tybee Island. This uninhabited nature preserve is located just south of Tybee Island and is only accessible by boat. It is a favorite camping spot among locals and visitors alike, thanks to the beautiful views of the marsh, rivers and local wildlife.
6. Visit the Beach
You can't come to Tybee and not hit the beach. Spring is a great time to soak up the sun or splash in the waves on one of Tybee's five beautiful beaches. There are plenty of water activities to take advantage of, including kayaking, paddle boarding and jet skiing or you can lounge in the sand and enjoy the sunshine.
7. Take Surf Lessons
Learning to surf is a fun activity for every family member and Tybee Surf Lessons offers classes for students of all ages and skill levels. Their private or group two-hour lessons include beach safety and basic surf instruction followed by a personalized water surf coaching experience. No need to bring your board either; Tybee Surf Lessons provides the surfboards and all the gear you need.
8. Feed Baby Alligators at The Crab Shack
The Crab Shack is more than just a restaurant, it's a Tybee institution. In addition to indulging in platters of delicious, fresh seafood, you can also walk down to The Crab Shack's gator lagoon and feed the baby gators with special alligator chow. This is one experience your family won't want to miss!
9. Take a Beach Ecology Trip with Dr. Joe
Tybee offers a wide variety of habitats to explore, animals to admire and shells to collect. You can do all this and much more on a Tybee Beach Ecology Trip with marine biologist Dr. Joe Richardson. On each trip, Dr. Joe takes guests through several activities, including beachcombing for animals, exploring tidal pools, collecting live specimens, pulling a beach seine net and examining the fish and other animals that are caught. It is a valuable and fascinating experience for children and adults of all ages.
Your family will be satisfied with a fun and relaxing spring break getaway to Tybee. Check out this article for even more great ways to enjoy spring break on the island.