Tybee Island in 360: Tybee Pier
In 1891, four years after the completion of a railroad from Savannah to Tybee, the original Tybee Pier and Pavilion was built by the Central of Georgia Railroad. Known then as the Tybrisa Pavilion, it was a hot spot for beach goers escaping the scorching summer heat in Savannah. It attracted big bands and other entertainment for the hundreds of visitors coming in on the railroad. In 1967, the Tybrisa Pavilion burned down in a massive fire. Rebuilt in 1996 for the Olympic Games, today’s Pier and Pavilion is one of the most visited and visible attractions on the island. Located on the south end of Tybee in the main business district, it is open and free to the public.