Fort Pulaski National Monument
Fort Pulaski National Monument is strategically located on Cockspur Island near the mouth of the Savannah River. Fort Pulaski was constructed between 1829 and 1847 to defend the port city of Savannah from foreign attacks and invasion. However, early in the American crisis that became the Civil War, Georgia state troops seized this masonry fortification.
On April 11-12, 1862, events at Fort Pulaski forever changed defensive strategies worldwide. Union forces deployed bullet-shaped projectiles from rifled artillery batteries on Tybee Island. After only 30 hours of bombardment the 7.5 foot thick brick walls of the fort were breached and the Confederates surrendered.
Today, the fort is a remarkably well preserved example of 19th century military architecture.
Fort Pulaski National Monument is located approximately 15 miles east of Savannah on US-80 and is open daily from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.