10 Mermaid Cottages to Stay in Before You Die
Located only 20 minutes outside of Savannah, Tybee Island is home to a bevy of cozy, cute and colorful vacation rentals. Over 50 of these island properties are managed by Mermaid Cottages – a beloved part of the Tybee Island community. Each home, whether it sleeps two people or twenty, offers comfortable accommodations, unique decor and plenty of resources for island relaxation.
1. Fiddler on the Creek circa 1940: While this 1940’s cottage still has the original walls, heart of pine floors, screened porch and dock – it is also stocked with plenty of modern-day marvels and coastal treasures.
2. Old Love Cottage circa 1921: Have you ever dreamt of living in a dollhouse? The Old Love Cottage can make those dreams a reality. This 1920’s beach cottage is perfectly pink with a tin roof, beadboard walls, pocket windows and a picket-fenced yard. You want to know the best thing about Old Love Cottage? It’s only 100 steps from the beach!
3. The Shrimp circa 1962: Traveling with children? The Shrimp is for you! This pastel playground is located directly across from Memorial Park and is only a short walk to the beach.
4. Doyle’s on the Dunes circa 1930: Watch the sun rise over the ocean from the beautiful, beachside deck at this 1930’s home.
5. Heron Hideaway: If you’re looking for incredible marsh views, then you’ve got to check out Heron Hideaway. This home has 2,000 square feet of beautifully decorated space, including a spacious porch, master bedroom and living area full of natural light.
6. Castaway circa 1955: This classic 1950’s home boasts a perfect picket fence, bright colors in every room, multiple private patios and a short walk to the beach.
7. A Mermaid’s Tale circa 1950: We couldn’t highlight Mermaid Cottages without featuring A Mermaid’s Tale! This wonderful ground level cottage sits right on “Mermaid Cottages Corner” – directly beside Nora’s Cottage, and across the street from Basking Under the Tybee Sun.
8. Eisenhower’s Retreat: Built in 1896 for James Montgomery Dixon, this nostalgic Tybee beach house has been carefully restored. Located only a few steps from the serenity of the Atlantic Ocean, this home will create lifelong memories for your family for many years.
9. Barefoot Children: This family-friendly, two-story cottage is packed with fun details and cheerful decor – including a pirate-themed bedroom! Located only 2 blocks from the beach, Barefoot Children was made for memory making.
10. Whispering Palms: You and your 12 best friends can have the time of your life in this gorgeous vintage beach home featuring 6 bedrooms, a gorgeous yard AND a heated pool. And if that isn’t enough – it’s also located only 1 ½ blocks from the beach!