The Cockspur Lighthouse is located on an islet off Cockspur Island at the South Channel of the Savannah River and is considered part of Fort Pulaski National Monument. The beacon appears to float at high tide when water covers the islet it stands on. As a result of this flooding, access to the lighthouse is most often reached by small boat or kayak. Crossing by land to the lighthouse is not advisable. The Cockspur Lighthouse is open to the public, but no official tours or accommodations are made.
Built in 1855, the illuminated beacon survived the bombardment of Fort Pulaski despite being directly in the line of fire. It was heavily damaged by an 1881 storm which destroyed the keeper’s residence, but kept shining until 1909 when it was finally extinguished due to the less frequent use of the south channel. In 2000 the restoration of the upper portions of the lighthouse was completed.
The Cockspur Lighthouse is one of the five surviving historic lighthouses in Georgia. Relit in March 2007, the beacon is best viewed from Fort Pulaski’s Lighthouse Overlook Trail.